Published on July 14, 2022
Congratulations on your new baby! How you’ll get coverage for your baby depends on your current insurance status.
If you don’t have health insurance:
- Having a baby qualifies you for a . This means you can enroll in or change 2022 Marketplace coverage. When you enroll in the new plan, your coverage can start the day your baby was born.
- Apply within 60 days after your baby’s birth. Your plan can cover you, your baby, and any other household members.
- It’s important to have access to health care services for both new parents and baby. With Marketplace coverage, you can get preventive benefits, like well-baby visits.
- Learn more about Special Enrollment Periods and how to apply.
If you have a Marketplace plan:
- You can keep your current plan and add your baby to your coverage.
- Update your Marketplace application within 60 days of your baby’s birth. Your coverage options and savings may change.
- You can create a separate enrollment group for your baby and enroll them in any plan for the rest of the year since having a baby qualifies you for a Special Enrollment Period. (You can’t change plans, but you can select any plan available to your baby.)
If you have Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) coverage:
If you have Medicaid when you give birth, your baby is automatically enrolled in Medicaid coverage, and they’ll remain eligible for at least a year.